The Red Awards, run annually by the Retail Interior Association, exists to promote excellence in retail design and to recognise the contribution of designers, shopfitters and suppliers to the retail industry. The emphasis placed on meeting the needs of the target market and on creating a point of difference within today’s competitive retail sector, irrespective of the budget expended, is an important measurement for the Awards.
The Red Awards also exist to promote the Retail Interior Association, its members, its sponsors, and the retailers who have chosen to work with designers, shopfitters and suppliers.
Entrants stand to gain the acclaim of the shopfitting, architectural, and design industries, an award in recognition of their achievement, along with nationwide publicity.
With the promotion of the Retail Interiors Association website, www.nzria.co.nz winning entries will remain part of our archive, with full contact details available.
Entries open August 6th 2021 and close 5pm Thursday December 9th 2021
GROUP AWARDS - 6 Group awards
- Food & Beverage
- Health & Beauty
- Apparel & Accessories
- Specialty Retail
- Big Box
One winner from each group who will go forward as a finalist for the Supreme Award.
Within each group the judges will award Merit awards to outstanding entries.
SUPREME AWARD - The Supreme Award winner will be chosen from the 6 Group winners.
SPECIAL AWARDS - These awards are a recognition of exceptional work within in the industry however are NOT in contention for the Supreme Award.
RED STAR AWARD - A separate award to recognise new industry talent (30 years and under) open by nomination
Excellence Awards are decided by the judges and awarded by our sponsors to celebrate the submissions that best demonstrate the following design elements:
- Scotty Doors Shopfront
- Gartshore Craftmanship
- Inzide Commercial Flooring
- Resene Colour and Texture
- Rilee's Signage and Graphics
- Novii Lighting
- GDM Visual Merchandising
- Monstavision Digital Integration
- Laminex Finishes Selection
Food & Beverage:
Service (Finance, Travel, Medical, Telco's, Real Estate)
Fashion & Beauty:
- Accessories (Eyewear, Jewellery, Hair, Footwear)
- Health & Beauty (Hair, Pharmacy, Nails, Spa)
- Appliances, Electronic, Digital
- Furniture, Furnishing, Lighting, Power Tools, Hardware, Garden and Building
- Department stores
Health & Beauty:
- Beauty (Hair, Nails, Spa)
- Fitness & Wellbeing
- Health (Medical, dental & pharmacy)
Judges will score entries out of 100 points:
- Overall Concept / Experience - 20 pts
- Impact of shop front, signage and graphics - 10 pts
- Fitout quality and complexity - 10pts
- Innovation - 10pts
- Space planning / customer flow - 10pts
- Ambience (Lighting, Colour, Flooring) - 10pts
- Brand integration - 10pts
- Merchandising and display / joinery - 10pts
- Response relative to brief and budget - 10pts
Judges will have final say over all aspects of the competition. No further correspondence or discussion will be entered into and the entrant accepts the judges’ decision as final and binding.
The Convenor Reserves the right to relocate an entry from one division to another if they deem it necessary
Where there is a likelihood of conflict of interest in the judging procedure, then that judge will step down from evaluating that entry.
All entries are open to site visits where the panel deems it necessary.
The judges will consider the winners of each group for the Red Supreme Award.
All entries will be assessed from entrants’ submissions via the website followed by a preliminary judging session. Following this, finalists will be chosen and judges may visit each finalist before meeting again to decide on the winners.
The judging panel have been selected by the Retail Interiors Association executive board on the basis of their expertise and experience with retail design and shopfitting.
- Members: $200 + GST one entry
- Members: $50 + GST subsequent entries
- Non-Members: $400 + GST one entry
- Non-Members: $50+GST subsequent entries
Payment via paypal will be required on entry submission
Entry Upload Requirements
You will be asked to upload:
- Six - Ten clear photographs measuring at at least 1200 pixels wide by 1200 pixels high:
- One image of the shop front, which should include signage and graphics and the design impact (from standing outside the store).
- Two overall shots of the interior standing at the entrance: these shots will include lighting qualities, ambiance and visual impact (colours, finishes, graphics and merchandising).
- Three close up/detail shots of fixtures and joinery and/or other elements that the designer feels are critical components of the design (CAD images depicting completed project will not be accepted).
- To include more detailed images you may use one of your six photos as a montage shot
- You will be also able to upload a link to videos of your project hosted on Youtube or Vimeo
- Good quality phone photos with supporting rendors will also be accepted due to lockdown
- A typed explanation/summary (up to 700 words) of the project, explaining the client’s brief, budget, floor area, sustainable design elements and tangible effects/results.
- A pdf version of the Floor plan showing overall concept and space planning.
SUSTAINABILITY AWARD ENTRY
Entry for the Sustainability Award is considered as part of your entry.
As part of your entry please include an outline of the Sustainable Elements within your design as part of the typed 700 word project summary (detailed above).
After your entry has been received, in addition to the outline of sustainable design elements within your project summary, you will be forwarded a Sustainable Design Checklist to complete and submit to the judging panel.
If you would like to know more about the Sustainability Award and how your project could be eligible please contact Liz Rikard-Bell email@example.com or phone 021 182 3454.
Red star award
Entry is by nomination only. Nominations will be accepted from Employers, Clients, or Industry Professionals.
The nominee must be 30 years of age or under and have been working in the industry for a period of 3 years or less by 1st December 2021.
It is free to enter.
You will be asked to upload:
A PDF – (can be up to 4 pages) that outlines the nominee’s talent, achievements and potential to the industry. The PDF will read a bit like a CV and should include a:
- A testimony or reference (written by the nominator)
And a summary of the nominee’s:
- Background and education
- Work experience
- An example project including:
- an outline of the clients brief
- the candidate’s roles/responsibility and contribution to the project
- A summary of the project outcome
- Photos that represent an example of the nominees work
If you would like to know more about the RED Star how a promising candidate could be eligible for entry, please contact Liz Rikard-Bell firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 021 182 3454.
Please note: The administrator reserves the right to use submitted images for the Retail Interiors Association website and the Red Awards including the awards presentation events, and other ongoing publicity purposes.
Important: Entries must be authentic and have been completed between 1st June 2020 – 1st December 2021 and must not have been submitted into previous year’s RED Awards.
Failure to comply with the conditions set out above will result in disqualification at the discretion of the convenor.